Sunday, December 5, 2010

What?!

I was doing so well. I had just caught-up on my blogging. Valentine's Day had just ended. Doug had just been called as a counselor in the Bishopric. Mya got the stomach flu. A couple of days later I was sick too. The next day I still didn't feel well. My brain was telling me that something was off. The stomach flu doesn't usually last more than 24 hours for me.
I decided that it wouldn't hurt to take a pregnancy test. I have done this many times, hoping that I would be pregnant but knowing that the outcome, unless it was a true miracle, would be that I wasn't pregnant. I'd taken a pregnancy test just the month before while dressed in a hospital type gown before having surgery on an umbilical hernia. The test came back negative--duh, after 18 years of trying to get pregnant when would it ever come back positive without spending between 15 to 50 thousand dollars!
So, I took the test. I looked at the result. I looked at the directions again and what the results meant. The results didn't look right. I thought I needed a second opinion. Doug was working from home that day so he was my second opinion. He didn't need to look at the directions again, he knew what it meant, we just couldn't believe it....we were pregnant!
My thoughts were what do I do now? How do I know that I'm pregnant for sure? Don't I need a blood test? Don't I need to see what my HCG levels are, don't I need an ultrasound. I called the Dr. and they said they didn't need to see me until I was 10 to 13 weeks along. 13 weeks along! No ultrasounds, no HCG tests, no shots for weeks on end, no repeat visits to the doctor? Is that what normal people are told?

For me this news was hard to take. I had always seen my children as embryos. I saw Mya through a microscope and I have pictures of Preston and Alexa as little embryos as well. Not seeing this little guy for a little while was going to be hard.

Mya and her twin at about 5 weeks.

Preston & Alexa Day 3

Parker at 9 weeks 5 days old.

No comments: